Friday, July 27, 2012

Simple (super simple) muffins!

I admit, a love warm raisin bran muffins. They remind me of visiting my late grandparents in Maine. My grandfather would start baking around 4:30 in the morning, so I'd literally wake up to the smell of yummy muffins coming out of the oven. Ahhh, great childhood memories!

As much as I enjoyed those muffins, they were loaded with sugar and oil. To lighten them up, I've been making the muffins from the Engine 2 cookbook which could not be more simple. 

You start with this:



And then after a couple of steps, you have this:



Makes 6 small muffins

7 ounce box bran muffin mix
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup water

Preheat oven to 375. Mix the ingredients together. Spoon the batter into a nonstick muffin tin. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

I usually add a handful of raisins and a 1/2 tsp vanilla. Sometimes I add 1 tsp Ener-G egg replacer mixed with 1 T water to make a taller muffin.

These are such a great post-gym snack or a perfect breakfast when you're in a hurry. I mean, it's a lot easier than eating a bowl of cereal in your car, right?



No comments: