Friday, July 6, 2012

Kathy Freston's "The Lean"

My sweet father-in-law (who just so happens to be about 90% plant strong!) bought me a gift last month: Kathy's Freston's new book, "The Lean." I really appreciated the gift because, quite honestly, I wouldn't have picked up the book on my own.  Not that I don't like her books (I loved "Veganist") but I didn't think I'd necessarily learn anything new. And since I'm full-blown plant strong, it didn't really appeal to me.

I was so wrong!






The premise of "The Lean" is that she encourages people new to veganism to try things on for size, one day at a time and walks you through each day until you get to 30. Great advice, as it can be a daunting task to even the most willing person!

Here is a breakdown of the first week:

Day 1. Drink Water. Lots of Water.

Day 2. Have a Hearty Breakfast

Day 3. Eat an Apple

Day 4. Clean Out the Cupboards, and Just for Today, Say No to Your Poison (hello beer and chocolate?)

Day 5. Go a Little Nuts

Day 5. Trade Your Milk and Butter for Plant-Based Versions

Day 7. Put a Little Flax on It

Not too crazy, right? She gives tips for 30 days and I strongly encourage people who are more than just flirting with the idea of veganism (hello Aimee!) to pick up this simple read.

I've been drinking a big ol' glass of room temperature water each morning as soon as I get up. Thanks Kathy Freston! Sometimes it's the simplest things, right?


No comments: