Monday, June 11, 2012

How does your garden grow?

I have a confession to make. I'm not much of a gardener. I'd like to think I am, but I'm not. Maybe it's the fact that every time I walk to my garden, I'm surprised by a snake. I try to be cool about it, one with nature and all, but I get freaky when I see him...

So, I have a modest garden that I can tend to while wearing boots! And since I love to cook and want to grow fresh herbs, I roll with it!

And I'd like to think I look pretty cute while I'm doing so!


My gardens are small but really functional. On the porch are some herbs that I use ALL THE TIME! And the rosemary I planted last May was still usable until the first good snow storm  (not bad for a $4 investment!) This year we have basil, rosemary and parsley up on the porch. The plant at the top is a cuke :)

 
About five years ago I got ambitious and laid out some raised beds (that I wish were higher!) where we grow zinnias for cutting and various herbs for cooking. And that thing in the top of the picture that looks like an old boat IS an old boat that I grow flowers in. I bought it from some guy for $10 who probably thought I was crazy....what can I say? I have a thing for boats! And I'm definitely a little crazy :)


Here's a nice close up of my mint and oregano. If anyone EVER needs mint or oregano, come on over!


Question: Which herbs do you grow for use in the kitchen? Anyone trying anything new this year?

No comments: