Tuesday, May 22, 2012

What the Bulk? Texas "Caviar"

Full disclosure: the one time I tried caviar (about 20 years ago) I just about died! I thought it was so over-the-top nasty! But THIS Texas caviar has been one of my go-to appetizer recipes for years.

By now you know I love anything I can whip up using only one bowl, and this is just that kind of snack. And just in time for all the summer cookouts!

Texas Caviar:

1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
1/3 cup thinly-sliced scallion
2 T canned chopped green chilies
2 T white wine vinegar
1 T minced seed jalapeno
1 T chopped fresh cilantro
1 t olive oil (optional)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin
a little pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
1 15.8 ounce can black-eyed peas, drained.

Mix and Chill!

optional: add a little fresh lime juice? corn? 


No comments: