Tuesday, May 1, 2012

What the bulk? Black Eyed Peas!

Before there were the Black Eyed Peas...


There were black eyed peas from the bulk aisle at the grocery store :) (Sorry, I had to. You can't blame me!)

The black eyed peas I love are ones that stew in my crock pot for hours and taste meaty and well seasoned. Sometimes I forget how incredibly cost efficient it is to eat dried beans. Here is how I usually cook mine.


Rinse your dried black eyed peas in a colander until clean. Then, dump the whole bag into a crock pot and fill the pot with enough water to cover the peas by several inches (they will expand!) I also like to season them and usually do with a packet of vegetable seasoning or some vegetable broth. This step all depends on taste. I admit, I like mine a little on the salty side.

From there, put the lid on your crock pot and cook them on low until they are tender. I think this usually takes 8 hours. If you need more liquid, at it at any time, but be warned that each time you lift the lid of your crock pot you need to add time to your cooking.

Once they're ready, they are delicious on their own, great over rice or couscous and good added to soups.

Soul food and super super good for you, of course!

No comments: