Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Indian Rice Salad

*Don't be scared off by my not having a picture, I swear it's an amazing recipe!*



I recently made this old Whole Foods deli recipe for some friends and it was very well received :) Here is the recipe, for anyone looking for a nice salad that is different than the usual!

Indian Rice Salad:

4 cups warm, cooked, brown rice
4 scallions (tips and dark green parts removed) sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried apricots, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup roasted cashews, chopped coarsely (I buy raw and roast them)
1/3 cup olive oil (I used a lot less :)
1 T curry
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp nutmeg (was this was threw Michelle off?)
1/2 tsp cardamon (I have tons if you need some)
1 tsp dried thyme
1 T tamari (or soy)
juice of half a lemon

1. Place rice, scallions, celery, cilantro, raisins, apricots and cashews into a large bowl. Mix well.

2. Gently warm oil in a small saute pan. Add spices and saute over low heat for a minute. Pour over rice mixture, along with tamari and lemon juice. Stir well. Allow to marinate, the longer the better!


As for whether or not to eat it hot or cold, it's really up to you. I tend to make a big batch and then eat off of it for lunches throughout the week.




*This is something they used to have at the deli at Whole Foods, back in the 90's. My mother-in-law either got the recipe from the store or tweaked it herself*

No comments: