Thursday, May 3, 2012

Soaking Dried Beans!

When I was young and I used to think of hippies, I used to picture people soaking beans on their counter top and pressing their own tofu.

 Guilty as charged. I am officially a hippie girl!



And you know what? Why not soak your own beans? It's a simple process that is healthier (no added sodium!) and more economical. It takes a wee bit of planning, but it's worth it because one bag of dried beans make a TON!

Start by giving them a good rinse in a colander.


I like to add one or two of these for a little kick.


Pour your beans into the crockpot and cover with water.



I obviously went a little nuts and make pinto...


Chick peas (garbanzo)


And these are the 5 bags (2 cups per bag) of the black beans, placed in freezer bags. Next time I need a quick dinner, I'll just put some over brown rice, toss a salad and call it a day :)


Give it a try and let me know how it goes!


No comments: