Friday, September 28, 2012

Small Changes: Try a new cereal

You've heard it a million times, but breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

I realize a lot of people feel they don't have time to eat before work and I understand! But your body needs the fuel of a slow-burning breakfast; something that will carry you over til lunchtime.

Eating a healthy breakfast is better than nothing, but I shutter to think of people who eat in their car on the way to work. I was once driving on I95 and saw a guy eating a bowl of cereal while he was driving. Are you kidding me? For real? Who does that?

There are a couple of problems I have with eating in the car. The biggest, is that you're not really enjoying the meal, are you? You're doing what I call "trance eating" (I'm guilty of this when I eat lunch and write veganmama updates at the same time!) Trance eating is eating something mindlessly while engaging in another activity. We've all done it, I'm sure.

So this week's small change is twofold. First, find a new healthy cereal to try. Second, eat it away from the computer, the television, the car, your phone, etc.

I have talked about Uncle Sam cereal before, but it bears repeating. It's really good for you and is widely available at supermarkets or online. I get mine through Amazon.com. I like to buy about 6 boxes are a time and get free shipping through Amazon Prime.




 Another good, inexpensive and simple cereal is Shredded Wheat or Grape Nuts, both of which are available in store-brand versions. I love that I can buy two boxes of store-brand Grape Nuts for $4.00. That's about two week's worth of breakfast.

I always encourage people to jazz up their cereal with fruit, a small handful of nuts and a teaspoon of ground flax seed (make sure it's ground).

Have fun and enjoy your mindful breakfasts next week!




No comments: