Monday, April 23, 2012

I made my own SEITAN!

Do you remember this post when I told you about seitan? Well, it's something that I'd never tried to make before because it sounded 1. weird 2. intimidating 3. why make it when I can just go to the Garden Grille and get some that blows my mind?

However, I found a recipe and the woman claimed it was easy, so I went for it!
 
I picked up a box of this vital wheat gluten at my local grocery store. Followed the directions to mix it up with broth...




Lined up 18 little blobs of it on a glass dish and kept them moist with more broth...

Put in the oven and then...

Presto!

Now, Seitan is one of those things that is an acquired taste. However, my kids both gave it the ever-so-impressive "double thumbs up!" so you might want to give it a try! Tastes and has the same feel as chicken. Seriously. And it's LOADED with protein, for what it's worth :)

Seitan Nuggets
[Makes about 18 nuggets]
  • 1 cup vital wheat gluten
  • 1-3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp. onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1/8 tsp. ground cumin
  • 2 cups vegetable broth, separated
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, and seasonings.
  3. In a separate glass or bowl, combine 1 cup broth and soy sauce.
  4. Pour vegetable broth mixture into dry ingredients. Mix well until an elastic dough forms.
  5. Form 18 nuggets from the dough and place into a glass baking dish (or two).
  6. Pour remaining broth into dish(es) and bake for 15 minutes.
  7. Remove pan from the oven, flip over seitan nuggets, and return dish to the oven.
  8. Bake another 15 minutes.
  9. Store seitan in the fridge, covered with more broth to maintain soft chewiness.

No comments: