Tuesday, February 21, 2012

What the Bulk!?!?!? Homemade veganmama GRANOLA!


Okay, wait a minute. Did I actually just perfect a granola recipe...by accident? Yes! Yes I did! I found a recipe for homemade granola BARS and when I tried to cut them and they turned into chunky GRANOLA instead, I decided to run with it! My tried-and-true taste testers (my kids, of course) were thrilled by the result. The picture really doesn't do it justice, so promise me you'll let me know how yours turns out!

Here are some notes about the recipe: it's flexible. My favorite recipes tend to be. You can jazz these up any way you'd like, as long as you have enough binding agent to keep them firm (peanut butter, brown rice syrup, honey)

Veganmama's Peanut Butter Granola Surprise (surprise, as in, "surprise! they aren't granola bars!)

4 cups rolled oats (not quick oats)
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1/2 cup peanuts, chopped (or whichever nut you choose)
3/4 cup natural peanut butter, melted
1/2 cup brown rice syrup (or honey, or a mix of the two)

add ins: chocolate chips (I like mini), dried fruit, seeds, coconut

* I used mini chocolate chips, dried cranberries and some raw sesame seeds in the recipe above *

In a large bowl combine oats, chia seeds and peanuts. Add brown rice syrup and mix to combine. Add melted peanut butter and mix until moistened (I used my hands.) At this point, add in some mix-ins and then add more peanut butter or brown rice syrup to keep it a little moist.

Press mixture into a pan lined with my favorite thing ever: non-stick Reynold's wrap in a 9x13 dish. Bake for about 25 minutes.

Let them cool completely (sometimes I speed along the process by putting things in the fridge or freezer).

When you cut into it, it'll break into nice big chunks, which make a terrific topping for your cereal, frozen dessert or smoothie.

And while we're talking desserts, have you made my ENERGY BARS yet?


Who's hungry now? :)

No comments: