Thursday, October 11, 2012

Making my own Kombucha



You probably know by now that I have a kombucha tea addiction :) Anyone else? People who like it tend to LOVE it. It's just one of those tastes! My favorite flavor is Lavender, closely followed by Gingerberry.

The only thing wrong with that is these lovely Synergy teas run about $3.89 a bottle. I'm not saying it's not worth it (it is!), but it adds up when you want to drink the stuff every day!

What' s a girl to do?

Lucky for me, I have some very cool people who read veganmama (yourself included!).  One of my readers recently reached out to let me know she was brewing her own and had an extra "starter cake" to share. Since kombucha is alive (it's alive!!!!) the cake that grows eventually has babies to share. Grossed out yet or intrigued?

So I brewed up 5 teabags in water (ice to cool it off)....





Then added some sugar, which actually gets eaten up by the live stuff!





And it's stored in a big glass jar in my pantry, wrapped in a towel so it's hard and cool. Can you see the cake thing at the bottom of the jar? That's the living kombucha! Crazy stuff, right?




And now I wait about 10 days until it's ready to drink!


No comments: