Monday, March 12, 2012

Meeting firefighter Rip of "Engine 2 Diet" fame!

If you've been following me here on veganmama for some time you know I'm a fan of Rip Esselstyn, the ex-firefighter, triathlete who wrote "The Engine 2 Diet." I first learned about Rip when I had just finished reading his father's book, "Prevent and Reserve Heart Disease." (note: you actually CAN do both by following a strict plant-based diet! I was skeptical, but after reading the book know it's possible) I saw Rip's book at my local Whole Foods and recognized his last name. I now couldn't imagine a morning without eating his cereal concoction, "Rip's Big Bowl!"

Rip's Big Bowl

oats (raw, old-fashioned) - 2 ounces
grape nuts (or Ezekiel brand equivalent) - 2 ounces
shredded wheat (bite-size) - 2 ounces
uncle sam's - 2 ounces
flaxseed meal (ground) - 1 ounces
raisins - 1 ounces
walnuts - 2 ounces
grapefruit - 1 whole (veganmama uses red grapes cut in half instead)
milk substitute (of choice) - 6 ounces
banana - 8 ounces
kiwi - 4 ounces

DIRECTIONS

Toss all ingredients except the grapefruit and milk substitute into a bowl. After cutting the grapefruit in half, use a small, sharp knife to remove the segments.

Add the segments to the top of the bowl and squeeze in the juice.

Top the bowl with milk substitute.


Rip recently came to Providence to give a talk about his lifestyle (our lifestyle :) and my father and I were lucky enough to attend.

Rip spoke to a full room, some of whom had taken his "28-day" challenge from his book, which spells out exactly how to jump into a plant-strong way of life. One of my favorite parts of the night was when people walked to the front of the room to share their proud stories. Stories not only weight loss, but of a new approach to food. THAT is really what it's all about, right? Feeling good about yourself and good about your choices. That goodness is contagious and exciting to see. And that's exactly what I try to do here at veganmama.



Go Veganmama go? I love this guy.



Rip stuck around for a book signing and shared some of his chocolate chip cookies with the group, baked by one of the women from the local Whole Foods. What an informative and inspiring night. Thank you, Rip!

No comments: