Thursday, March 8, 2012

Easy Dessert Balls


I recently came across this recipe and have a confession to make: I'm in LOVE. Full disclosure, I am a honey-eating vegan, so before my comment box fills up with comments about the honey, I'm putting a stinger in that situation ;) Something that makes me feel good about the honey I eat is that I get it from my friend Dave, who harvests it with the bees he keeps in his backyard.

Onto the LOVE part! Here is a recipe I like to call "hippie balls" (male readers, please resist the urge to make jokes...they are balls, afterall)

Hippie Balls

1 cup dry old-fashioned oats
1 cup toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/3 cup honey
1 1/4 tsp. vanilla

Stir all ingredients in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed. I like to use my hands to make sure it's really well mixed. Once chilled, roll into balls about an inch in diameter. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.

Makes about 15-20 balls

You can mix in all sorts of add-ins, but keep in mind you'll have to add more peanut butter or honey to keep them from falling apart. I sometimes add a chopped nut or a dried fruit. The sky's the limit on these.

Warning: Amazingly addictive and children love them!

No comments: