Thursday, January 19, 2012

Wicked Awesome Chocolate Chip Cookie!

We all agree there is nothing better than a hot, out-of-the-oven chocolate chip cookie, right? And believe me, I make a good chocolate chip cookie. However, I'm no longer cranking out the same ones I used to, filled with butter, butter and more butter *Fans of the non-vegan version, don't fret, I'll still bake for you! * However, once you try these, you might not miss the old ones!

This version is based on one I came across last January in the Boston Globe. While I'm aware that it's not the healthiest version out there in the vegan cookie market, I consider it a treat worth making. The version this is based on is not vegan, so I tweaked it to work for us! And believe me, your family and friends will NOT miss Tollhouse cookies after eating these babies!


Whole-Grain Chocolate Chunk Cookies

1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (PASTRY FLOUR, not regular!)
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup canola oil
2 T non-dairy butter (Earth Balance)
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup peanut butter (I like Teddy's chunky)
2 "eggs" (follow directions on ground flax seed bag to make "eggs" by mixing it with water)
1 tsp vanilla extract
12 ounces of vegan chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375. In a medium bowl, combine flour, oats, baking soda, and salt and mix well. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the oil, Earth Balance and sugars, starting on low speed and finishing with a couple of minutes on high. Add the peanut butter, "eggs" and vanilla and mix well. With the mixer on low, slowly beat the dry ingredients into the peanut butter mixture, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. The dough will be very thick. Fold in the chocolate chips. Using your hands, form cookies into 3-inch balls on a baking sheet; you'll have to press the balls together a bit. Bake about 14 minutes on a parchment or silpat-lined sheet. Let rest 5 minutes after they come out of the oven and then cool on a wire rack until they are cool.

No comments: