Thursday, January 26, 2012

Black Bean Burgers


These easy-to-assemble burgers can be shaped ahead of time and cooked off when you're ready to eat.

Ingredients for Black Bean Burgers

1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
1 egg (I used 1 T ground flax seed mixed with about a T water)
1/2 yellow onion, chopped (in my opinion, pre-cook them!)
1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or granules
Salt and pepper to taste
Hot sauce to taste
1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive or canola oil
6 whole wheat hamburger buns
6 green leaf lettuce leaves
2 tomatoes, sliced
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced

Method

Put beans in a large bowl and mash well with a fork. Add egg (or flax egg), yellow onion, bread crumbs, oregano, basil, garlic powder, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Mix well to combine then shape into 6 patties.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Arrange patties in a single layer (working in batches, if needed) and cook, flipping once, until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, about 10 minutes total. Transfer to buns, top with lettuce, tomatoes and red onions and serve.

veganmama note: why not make a double batch and freeze them? cheaper than frozen veggie burgers and far more interesting, don't you agree?

2 comments:

Susan Finn said...

I had no idea bean burgers could be this easy. Can't wait to make them for dinner tonight!

Susan Finn said...

Well, I made the burgers and they came out even better than I thought they might. I ended up using a whole sweet onion that I sautéed beforehand. I also used two eggs because I thought it looked a bit dry. Everyone loved them. Thanks for the recipe. I will definitely make them again.