Friday, January 20, 2012

What in the world is....SEITAN?


Seitan is actually one of my favorite meat substitutes!

It is often used in Asian restaurants that prepare meat-like dishes without meat. It is made by rinsing whole wheat bread flour to extract the gluten, producing a food that is naturally high in protein and low in carbs and fat. It's dubbed "wheat meat" and considered the ultimate meat substitute.


I have to admit, to people new to vegetarianism, it probably sounds really weird and looks even weirder, but when you go to a great vegetarian restaurant (like the amazing Garden Grille in Pawtucket, RI!) I encourage you to try a seitan appetizer. Right now, the Garden Grille's winter menu offers a Chipotle Seitan with Wasabi Mustard that is absolutely fantastic!

I haven't yet tried to make my own seitan, since it's readily available at Whole Foods and other natural markets, but you'll be the first to know when I do! Won't that be an adventure in cooking!

Enjoy your weekend and remember, don't let these foods scare you. One might be something that turns into your favorite new thing!

No comments: