Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The thing about protein...


Where do I get my protein if not from dairy and meat? I’ve been at this a long time, so trust me when I say one of the first questions a vegan/vegetarian is asked is “Where do you get your PROTEIN!” Well, let me tell you a thing or two about protein. First off, most Americans get too much of it. And when that protein is coming in the form of saturated fat from meat and dairy, it doesn’t do a body good! Somewhere along the line, we have become more focused on individual nutrients and vitamins, instead of looking at eating well as a WHOLE. Protein is a very important thing, of course, and I’d like to share some ways this girl gets hers. Amazing plant-based proteins I eat include: black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, cannellini beans, chickpeas, soybeans, lentils, seitan, tempeh, tofu, avocados, broccoli, spinach, asparagus, beet greens, nut butters, peanuts, walnuts, whole grains, soymilk. cashews, protein powder added to soy smoothies….I’m sure I’ve missed a few things, but you get the idea. Although unprocessed foods are always best (more on that later!), one of our favorite frozen meat substitutes is a product line called GARDEIN. Have you tried it? Their meat-free beefless tips are 150 calories a serving with 18 grams of protein. No trans fats, no cholesterol. At about $4.00 a bag, you can’t go wrong! I think the type of protein you consume is far more important than the amount, don’t you?

No comments: