Tuesday, November 15, 2011

What the BULK!?!?!


Welcome back to What the Bulk Tuesday! Each week I post one of these updates I can't believe a whole week has already gone by. This week I'll be sharing a little secret with you...I used to not be a fan of couscous. I know, I know, who doesn't like couscous? It has a cute name, it's good for you and it's a cinch to prepare. It wasn't until I tried WHOLE WHEAT couscous that I fell for it. And I didn't just fall for it, I fell in love. Here's why: It's super cheap ($3.19 a pound, which lasts a while!), it takes ONE minute to cook (hello!) and it's a perfect addition to a meal. Want a fun breakfast? Serve it warm and drizzle with a little maple syrup, cinnamon and dried fruit. A simple lunch? Add it to your tomato soup! Want to stretch a meal? Add it to some roasted vegetables already in your fridge to give the meal more substance. I buy the WHOLE WHEAT variety at Whole Foods (pictured above) and keep a jar of it in the pantry. The boxed white couscous you find at the market is okay...but why not go whole grain and forgo the added sodium of the boxed variety? Cousin Patricia, walk on down to your swank Manhattan Whole Foods and hook yourself up :)

My "recipe"

1 1/2 cups water (or veg. broth)
1 cup whole wheat couscous

Boil water and cook the couscous for one minute.

Turn off the heat and let it rest, covered, for 5.

Fluff with a fork.

That's it!

1 comment:

Patricia said...

Awesome! :) You know I'm going to try it this week! -Patricia