Monday, November 28, 2011

Sweet Potato Black Bean Soup


I'm sure I'm not the only one who thoroughly enjoyed the culinary treats of the holiday last week, but is looking forward to a simple meal that leaves you feeling nourished instead of stuffed! I love this everyday soup because I usually already have all the ingredients in the pantry and it's quick and nutritious!

Sweet Potato Black Bean Soup

1 quart of vegetable broth
1 medium onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 cans black beans, but DO NOT drain
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
Tabasco (3 to 4 drops, or to taste)

Saute onion, celery and garlic in a small amount of vegetable broth until softened, about five minutes. Add remaining broth, beans and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Cook briefly, then add sweet potato and season with salt, pepper, Tabasco (if you choose). Cook 20 minutes, until potato is soft.

That's it, folks! I have to say, I've made this soup for years and it's always the one my Dad asks for :)

No comments: