Wednesday, May 30, 2012

What I Ate Wednesday

Welcome back to What I Ate Wednesday! The weekly post where you can take a peak at what I've been eating, and how uncomplicated (!!!) healthy eating can (and should) be.

Breakfast was a good one. Overnight oats made by soaking 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats in 3/4 cup almond milk overnight in the fridge. Topped with cinnamon (which is a great antioxidant and anti-inflammatory), raisins, bananas and walnuts. Yum.

I'm a cereal person, so you'll always see cereal for my breakfast posts!



Lunch was typical me. Meaning, an off-the-top-of-my-head salad made with whatever I had in the fridge. Today was baby spinach, a mess-load of carrots, sliced almonds, Gardein steakless tips and Whole Foods' tahini dressing from the "Health Starts Here" line. I have to say, it's a good looking lunch! And it tasted great. Filling and satisfying.


Snack shouldn't surprise you. This smoothie is a new favorite of mine. I blend 5 ice cubes, a scoop of chocolate (plant based) protein powder, 1/2 a frozen banana and about 1/4 cup almond milk. Topped it off with walnuts (my favorite!) *note: I get more than enough protein on a plant-based diet, I just love the taste of this chocolate powder and it thickens my smoothies.* Wouldn't you SO rather eat this for an afternoon snack than a little sugary-filled granola bar or bag of chips?


Dinner was a big (although this looks little, I realize!) plate of steamed vegetables topped with a delicious tahini dressing that I used from one of the recipes from the book "The Kind Diet."


Tahini Dressing: 
1/4 small onion, diced
1/2 cup tahini
1 T shoyu (or soy sauce)
pinch of garlic powder
pinch of paprika
1/2 tsp basil
pinch of dried oregano

Combine onion with 2 T water in a small skillet and saute over medium-high heat until softened, about 4 minutes. Add more water as needed if the onion begins to stick. Scrape the onion into a blender and add 1/2 cup water and remaining ingredients. Blend for 1 minute or until creamy.

Dessert speaks for itself. No, I didn't eat the whole thing, but I certainly could have!


Enjoy your Wednesday and thank you SO much for all the positive feedback!

No comments: