Friday, November 16, 2012

How to Slice a Pomegranate

My favorite season? Fall. Why? Lots of reasons why, but the foodie reason is because of the huge shipments of POM pomegranates that show up at the grocery stores this time of year. Quick tip: buy a whole bunch of them and keep them in the fridge, as they store well for about three months!

My mom introduced us to eating pomegrantes when we were kids, and they've remained one of my top five favorite foods since! (yes, chocolate is there as well)

Since I'm verbal about my love of this amazing fruit, people often come to me for pomegranate advice! One of the questions people ask is, "How do I pick a good one?" There are a couple of things to consider. First, I pretty much only get the ones with the little POM sticker on them. They're usually $2.00 to $2.50 each. I've been known to buy 20 at once. Yep, you heard that right! Another thing to consider is the weight. The juicier the fruit, the heavier it will be. I also look for a nice dark red, fresh looking fruit.

If you've even cut into a pomegranate, you know they produce a lot of dark red juice that can stain your fingers, nails, kitchen walls (!), etc. Here are some pictures I took showing what I believe to be the best and cleanest way to cut into it:

Slice off the top and the bottom (the top is the stem side)

Very lightly score around the fruit, without puncturing the seeds.

Then lightly score around the diameter.

Voila! It's ready to eat! (yes, I am wearing gloves!)


No comments: