Friday, December 23, 2011

Dates Stuffed with Peanut Butter


I'm so proud to be half Lebanese, and am convinced that growing up around international cooking really helped develop my taste buds to be more adventurous and innovative.

I think the best desserts are Middle Eastern pastries, but honestly, a lot of them require a LOT of work (and more butter than I care to think about!) So, when I was trying to come up with a simple Lebanese treat, this came to mind. You know I love a quick, simple dessert. And if the dessert is made with two ingredients? That's a homerun!

When I was a kid, one of the treats my mother used to prepare for us was stuffed dates with peanut butter. Dates are deliciously sweet and sugary. Paired with an all-natural peanut butter and you can't go wrong. In fact, I'm willing to bet most kids wouldn't complain about this different dessert.

All you do to prepare this treat is to buy some whole pitted dates, put a little dab of peanut butter in the middle (or almond or sunflower butter) and that's it! My Mom liked to roll them in sugar (and as kids we didn't complain), but I make mine as pictured.

No comments: